Re: Enabling connection pooling by default

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrei Kovalevski" <andyk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Enabling connection pooling by default
Date: 2008-10-15 16:14:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee> wrote:

> Is connection pooling tested and works OK with unicode driver ?
> Can pooling turned on by default in next driver release ?

This is a good question. Until now, I was implementing my own
connection pooling mechanism in my client application.

I have one question for you Andrus.  Are you trying to create a three
tier application that uses ODBC on the second tier to handle
connections for multiple third tier clients?   This would be a good
use for connection pooling.

In my case, I use a two tier approach.  When using only two tiers, I
feel it is better if the client use only one connection that is opened
and maintained throughout the client apps life-span.  In this scenario
to many connections is only going to waste PG server memory resources
but will not give the client any benefits that beyond what a single
connection could due.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.