Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tomasz Ostrowski" <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Cc: "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-26 12:35:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Tomasz Ostrowski
<tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl> wrote:

> http://www.slony.info/documentation/versionupgrade.html
> I think nobody would guide you step by step.

Well they may, then is nothing wrong with asking especially when
"breaking new ground." Since my databases are currently pretty small,
a dump and reload is not a problem. However, I am following this
tread with keen interest for future reference. Perhaps others are
also?

> Either read documentation
> and do it yourself or hire an expert:
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

Reading the documentation is always good advice. Ofcourse, I think
that DBA/SA wants and should be able to perform all tasks associated
with maintaining a database. However, I very much agree that buying a
support aggreement for "mission critical" applications is an important
safety net to have.

> Find out what changes were made to your old postgresql.conf (compare it
> to the default) and make the same changes to new posgresql.conf.

I very much agree. There wasn't that much that changed between 8.2
and 8.3. Just look for the uncommented postgresql.conf setting in 8.2
and then compare with 8.3.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.