Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gary <sql(at)4myad(dot)tv>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic
Date: 2008-06-17 21:38:15
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Gary <sql(at)4myad(dot)tv> wrote:
> 1.  I'm clicking on Reply.  Is this only going to you and if so should I be
> doing something different?

Ya.  Reply-All is for the benifit of the whole PostgreSQL Community.
This way others listening in can benifit from the discussion and
people more experienced or smarter that I can chime in to correct my
mis-information :o) .  Also the answer is posted to the PostgreSQL
Archieves.  This way the answers are stored for others to research
later.

> 2. I know the username and password of the database, nothing else.  When I
> first installed the application, I have a vague memory of doing something
> and getting "dos looking" window with a prompt.  I believe I had to enter /q
> to exit.  I don't remember what I did to get that far.

these should fill in the missing details
http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=postgresql about connection strings
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms807027.aspx about connection.open
http://support.sas.com/documentation/tools/oledb/rr_sqliomshare.htm

> 3. I understand about 50% of your example.  I need to back up to the
> beginning.  Where do I look for "SQL for Dummies?"

Well, I think there are too many SQL dummies out there, so I would
recommend this book instead ;) :
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/706077/description#description

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug