Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gary <sql(at)4myad(dot)tv>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic
Date: 2008-06-17 16:13:42
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Gary <sql(at)4myad(dot)tv> wrote:

> I would like to use VB6 to create a report.  I've never use a database
> before.
>
> Can someone point me to some information and examples.

Do you already have a working PostgreSQL database that you will be
working with?  What report engine will you be using?

I've don't have a copy of VB6 at work.  But using VB for applications,
I was able to embed a Crystal Reports Viewer into one of my forms. To
make all of this work, you need three things:

1) An understanding of SQL, to get at (and possibly aggregate) your
data before it is processed by your report.
2) An understanding of your report software. (you need to be able to
create and format the report.)
3) An understanding of how to embed your report view into your VB application.
[opt.4] If you are trying to design your own database from scratch,
then you will need an understanding of Conceptual database schema
design, Normalization rules, and a working knowledge of your
postgresql server.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug