Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Sebastian Rychter" <srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC
Date: 2008-05-23 21:33:27
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> Can it be done? Or is the DB server not capable of generating explain output
> (say to a log) and also returning a resultset?

It can be done ~kind-of~.

To me EXPLAIN [ ANALYSE ] is similar to any other SELECT statement
query, with the exception that the data-set that it returns to the
client is an order list of execution steps.

So, if a client front-end were to pass an explain analyze query to the
server, the server would return the data-set for the execution plan.
The trick here is to find a way to get a client interface to prefix
its select statements with explain analyze.  And this, I don't thing
can be done.  That's why you have to manually view the server logs to
see what query are being passed so that identify the problem queries
your self.

Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)