Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sebastian Rychter" <srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC
Date: 2008-05-23 20:26:27
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Sebastian Rychter
<srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar> wrote:
> Thanks.. All logs are already off and I'm just sending one query directly
> from the application (from Visual Foxpro using SQL Pass through and in
> VB.net using ado.net). I've found that the "problem" is that I'm using
> implicit joins, and when I change it to explicit Inner Joins the query only
> takes 3 seconds (as with PgAdmin). I still can't understand if the problem
> resides on the ODBC driver, the Query Planner or it's just a mix of both.

The next step would be to turn on PostgreSQL's statement logging and
statement duration.  Issue the queries from VFP and then check what
statement that PG is actually getting.  If the statement that PG is
getting looks good, try executing that statement prefixed with explain
analyze from the psql command line to help identify where the
performance problem is.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug