Object - Relational Mappings

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group" <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Object - Relational Mappings
Date: 2008-03-29 06:04:11
Lists: lapug
Sometimes we see Object Oriented programmers, trying to directly map
Object Oriented (O.O.) design patterns into a relational database.
I've heard the PostgreSQL community refer to this approach as object
relational impedance mismatch since the resulting design is nearly
unworkable and performs awfully.

However, it is possible to achieve a marriage (or impedance match)
between OO software design and normalized relational database design
using Data Access Patterns.

This topic was just one of the interesting points of discussion that
was entertained during March's LAPUG Meeting.  I will give a recap on
the other points of discussion in the LAPUG blog a little later.

The book that explains 5 ways to achieve this marriage is discussed in
the following book:

Data Access Patterns ( Database Interactions in Object-Oriented Applications )
ISBN 0-13-140157-2

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.