Re: Speakers and topics

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Juan Jose Natera" <naterajj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group" <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speakers and topics
Date: 2008-03-25 00:43:50
Lists: lapug

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Juan Jose Natera <naterajj(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Keeping in mind that this is an attempt to help kickstart the
> meetings, and that the last time
> I used Pg was more than 5 years ago, in other words, I am not an
> expert and I need time to
> prepare, Do you think a PL/Perl presentation would be interesting?

Sure!

I expect that each person that comes to an LAPUG meeting would have a
differing level of experience. Some might already be well versed on
the subject, others on the other-hand would find this topic very
enlightening.

There are a couple of topics that I could give in the future. (Once my
work schedule returns to normal that is...). I was thinking of
developing a comparison of PostgreSQL's hierarchical table inheritance
(which implements horizontal partitioning) versus custom created
vertically partitioned table hierarchy. Another idea, would be to
develop a discussion on how to use the PostgreSQL rule system to
create update-able views when the views are non-trivial. Other than
this, most of my development has been with MS-Access as front end and
Crystal reports as a reporting utility. I could develop a discussion
on some the lessons I've learned, from this kind of development.

Of-course, I expect that since some attendees may have more experience
on these subjects than me, I would expect to get to positive feedback
from the audience regarding certain techniques that could be improved.

So as you can see, topics for discussion need not be only advanced
topics. Everyone that would like to present something that they are
interested in would be more than welcome.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

p.s.

Be sure to reply-all so that the other members of the mailing list are
included. This way everyone on this list can participate in this
discussion as well. :-)