Re: Access complains : Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access complains : Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit
Date: 2008-03-21 05:08:53
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> ... event before update caused an error:
> Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit

This sounds more like a MS-Access Visual Basic Coding problem. Any ODBC
related error messages are really PostgreSQL error messages that are relayed
to you. What you are describing here doesn't sound any thing like and ODBC
or PostgreSQL error.

They say they dont do anything special. Just clicking a checkbox or
> trying to jump to the next record would do to trigger the error.
> Later the same action won't cause any trouble, so I can't crack this in
> debug-mode. Here on my box it always works as expected.

How are you binding the form to the user controls? Are you linking from
linked tables, linked DAO recordsets, or linked ADO recordsets?

Could someone here give a hint?

I would start by looking for code in the form that might be calling the
form's recordset UPDATE or CancelUpdate method.

Also, if this is a access problem, I would check out this site for further
information: www.utteraccess.com

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.