Re: \d* won't work in 7.0.2?

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: matias(at)k-bell(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, murray(at)verinet(dot)com
Subject: Re: \d* won't work in 7.0.2?
Date: 2000-07-03 15:59:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Matías Giovannini wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Can anyone else check these same RPMs? I have a nasty feeling that they
> > might have been miscompiled (eg, built with optimization level higher than

> Unfortunately, I don't even know how to start to make binary RPMs, so I
> can't be of much help here. I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I will need
> some coaching; if anybody could give me a couple of pointers, I can
> study and give it a try.

First, what optimization level is too high on PPC for the old fmgr?

Second, to rebuild binary RPM's, do the following:
1.) Download the source RPM
(ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0.2/RPM/SRPMS/postgresql-7.0.2-2.src.rpm)
2.) Install the source RPM (as root, unless you have a normal user RPM
set-up, which if you've never built the RPM's before, you won't) -- rpm
-i postgresql-7.0.2-2.src.rpm
3.) Find the RPM build dir: on my RedHat box it is /usr/src/redhat, on
Mandrake, it is /usr/src/RPM -- you can find this yourself by issuing
the command rpm --showrc|grep '^-14: _topdir' -- on my box it gives
topdir as being %{_usrsrc}/redhat -- and _usrsrc is almost always
/usr/src.
4.) CD to _topdir. Then cd to SPECS
5.) Open postgresql.spec in your favorite editor, and find the line
defining CFLAGS (currently defines CFLAGS as $RPM_OPT_FLAGS), and add
the correct optimization switches. Save postgresql.spec and close.
6.) With CWD as _topdir/SPECS, execute the following:
rpm -ba postgresql.spec >postgresql-build.log 2>&1 & tail -f
postgresql-build.log
7.) The build will progress, and a log will be kept. Once the build has
stopped (indicated by several lines showing that .ppc.rpm files are
being written), interrupt out of the tail -f.
8.) You'll find the binary RPM's in
_topdir/RPMS/_arch/postgresql*._arch.rpm -- where _arch is your
architecture, in this case, ppc.
9.) Backup your data, make sure you have the original RPM's to go back
to, and execute rpm -Uvh for each rpm you have installed.

I'm copying Murray Todd Williams on this, as he did the binary rebuild
of my source RPM for PowerPC. It is possible that his machine's
$RPM_OPT_FLAGS is set to an excessively high optimization for PostgreSQL
7.0. If this is the case, I'll need to coordinate with him on a -3
RPMset, which, due to some other problems with the -2 set, is overdue
anyway from me. :-(

HTH

--
Lamar Owen