Re: \d* won't work in 7.0.2?

From: Matías Giovannini <matias(at)k-bell(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: \d* won't work in 7.0.2?
Date: 2000-07-03 15:10:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias(at)k-bell(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm baffled at this: \d (and friends) won't give me the definition of a
> > table, view, function, etc:
>
> Wow, that's pretty broken. I assure you \d works for everyone else ;-).
> I think you must be looking at a serious configuration mistake or
> portability problem.
>
> > * Version is:
> > PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc 2.95.2
> > * I've installed from the PPC RPM's, version 7.0.2-2 (found in
> > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org//pub/binary/v7.0.2/redhat-RPM/RPMS/PPC/ as of today).
>
> Can anyone else check these same RPMs? I have a nasty feeling that they
> might have been miscompiled (eg, built with optimization level higher than
> will work given the old fmgr).
>
> regards, tom lane

Yes, it seems to be a configuration problem. I rebuilt PostgreSQL 7.0.2
from sources (postgresql.tar.gz), installed it and it works just fine.
Unfortunately, I don't even know how to start to make binary RPMs, so I
can't be of much help here. I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I will need
some coaching; if anybody could give me a couple of pointers, I can
study and give it a try.

Best regards,
Matías.

--
Microsoft shouldn't be broken up. It should be shut down.
-- Phil Agre