Re: [PORTS] Re: Linux templates

From: Uncle George <gatgul(at)voicenet(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Re: Linux templates
Date: 2000-07-01 23:35:12
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
Actually, from compiling your latest version , the CPU= equate did a strange
thing. I expected CPU=alpha, but it placed instead CPU=alpha_ev56 ( or
something like that ) the ev56 is a particular alpha processor ( like
pentium II, III, 486 ... ).
no-inline for the alpha/cc compiler was necessary because the in-lining of
assembler code ( the  test and set code ) did not work without getting lock
failures.
The -mieee flag tells the cc compiler to wait for FP traps to maybe happen.
Without this flag the FP errors will not be ieee754(?) comforment, and
therefor not produce the same results as the i386 port.  But u pay for this
feature ( u gotta wait for the FP processing to complete before going on ).
At one point, having the -mieee switch on ment that the compiler would
insert waits, even where no FP processing has occured. I do not know of the
current state of the -mieee switch ( ie more carefull where stalls are
inserted ). I limit my usage of -mieee to only the modules that do FP work.
/gat