Re: puzzled by the docs

From: Hernan Gonzalez <hgonzal(at)sinectis(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: puzzled by the docs
Date: 2000-06-27 16:37:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Hernan Gonzalez <hgonzal(at)sinectis(dot)com(dot)ar> writes:
> > The PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide which appears on the web
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/admin/index.html
> > is fairly different from the one which is packed with
> > the 7.0.2 distribution.
>
> > Which is the good one?
>
> The files appearing under http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ are a
> snapshot of current development, not the docs that go with the
> most recent release. Any changes you see are work that will be
> in the next major release (ie, 7.1).
>
> We have been planning to rearrange the website so that the main
> docs page shows the most recent release, and the development
> snapshot appears someplace else, but I guess Vince hasn't got
> round to it yet ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Ok.
It would be nice, I think, if the docs specify (in the heading)
to which version they correspond...

Anyway, the 7.0.2 docs state (in the "pg_options" section)
that :

> Message printed to stdout or stderr are prefixed by a timestamp containing also the backend pid
>
> #timestamp #pid #message
> 980127.17:52:14.173 [29271] StartTransactionCommand
> 980127.17:52:14.174 [29271] ProcessUtility: dro
> This format improves readability of the logs and allows people to understand exactly which backend is
> doing what and at which time. It also makes easier to write simple awk or perl scripts which monitor the
> log to detect database errors or problem, or to compute transaction time statistics.

It is very true that this format is useful, but that's not what I get.
My 7.0.2 postmaster is started with stdout & stderr redirected to a file,
and I get no timestamps no pids.

My .../data/pg_options file contains two lines:

verbose=1
query

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks!