info on unixODBC/Postgres driver port to IRIX 6.5.7 64bit

From: Murad Nayal <murad(at)godel(dot)bioc(dot)columbia(dot)edu>
To: unixodbc-dev(at)unixodbc(dot)org, bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: info on unixODBC/Postgres driver port to IRIX 6.5.7 64bit
Date: 2000-06-14 14:23:32
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackerspgsql-ports

Hello,

This is a report on my attempts to install unixODBC (1.8.9) and postgres
odbc driver on IRIX 6.5.7 64bit using the native compiler. There are a
number of changes that were necessary to be made on both the
configuration files and source to get it to compile. patches are
attached. some of these were derived from 1.8.8, but they all apply
successfully on 1.8.9.

UnixODBC
--------

1- you can ignore the changes to acinclude.m4. they are a hack to
augment the qt libraries for my platform. a more thoughtful allowance
for this possibility though might be needed.

2- I had to propagate USER_LDFLAGS into DataManager/Makefile.in,
ODBCConfig/Makefile.in and odbctest/Makefile.am adding it to LDADD
flags. There is no reason not to and they were needed in my case to find
all qt related libraries.

3- The IRIX native compiler does not like having new lines in strings. I
had to delete spurious new lines from a few strings in
DataManager/classLogin.cpp and DataManager/classISQL.cpp

4- default values for function arguments were defined twice in a number
of files. in the headers as well as in cpp files. IRIX compiler does not
like that besides it is a maintenance burden. I kept the default
arguments in the header files only (see patch).

5- Needed to insert explicit type casts in some places as well as
leading function prototypes (see patch).

Postgres ODBC driver
--------------------

6- One bug that was hard to track was related to the postgres driver.
The driver defines #define Int4 long int; in psqlodbc.h. unfortunately,
when compiling 64bit a long int is 8 bytes. for my setup I hacked it by
changing that to #define Int4 int; which I think is probably appropriate
on most platforms. But this type should really be determined at
configure time.

Regards

--
Murad Nayal M.D. Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics

pgsql-ports by date