Simple search question

From: Alex <gliathit(at)ihug(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Simple search question
Date: 2000-06-12 23:42:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
after running a script which performs an insert, a new tuple is
created, and a serial number is generated for it. I want to write the
new tuple data back to the screen, including the new serial number.
My question is, do I have to do a search for the tuple just inserted in
order to get the data back again? I am thinking there must be a faster,
more efficient way.
Thanks,
Alex