Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: "Tim Joyce" <tim(at)hoop(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour
Date: 1999-09-29 15:15:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
> As I understand it, Postgres installation requires you not only to
> have readline installed, but to have the readline header-files
> installed.

Yes; you can hardly build a readline client app from source without 'em.

> Many people may have the readline libraries installed, but
> not the headers, e.g, under RedHat 6.0, where you would need to
> install not only readline-x.y.rpm (installed by default), but
> readline-devel-x.y.rpm, which is not installed by default, IIRC. Might
> it be worth sticking something like this on the install FAQ?

Hmm, good point.  I think you are right, this ought to be pointed out
somewhere in our docs.

(I'd say this is a mispackaging of readline, BTW: installed headers
belong with the library, not with the sources.  By that logic a
non-devel RH system would ship with an empty /usr/include tree and you
couldn't compile *anything*.  But I doubt RH cares what I think...)

pgsql-interfaces by date

Previous:From: Moray McConnachieDate: 1999-09-29 15:09:10