Re: Big projet, please help

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big projet, please help
Date: 2000-06-08 07:09:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Olivier PRENANT wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm faced to a big problem!!
>
> I have to do this for a customer:
>
> create a database on my server; this database will be queried and updated
> through the web --- this is easy
>
> H!ave the same databse on my customer server. This databse will be queried
> and updated by the customer . -esay too
>
> The 2 databases have to be synchronized both ways ! Huh How can I do
> that???

Just a thought:

have two sets of tables client_xxx and web_xxx and allow updates on
'local'
tables only.

for queries create views like
(select * from client_xxx union select * from web_xxx)

if client wants to modyify web tables have her do it over web.

to synchronize just copy over the tables

> Can you give me some pointers... I'd love to do it with postgresql
> instead of going to Oracle just because they can replicate bases...

A general info on _file_system_ replication can be found at

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

it probably won't help you much with db replication

A distributed db based on early postgreSQL versions is at

http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/mariposa/

---------
Hannu