Re: Performance

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)cupid(dot)suninternet(dot)com>
To: Ron Chmara <ron(at)opus1(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Weholt <Thomas(at)cintra(dot)no>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance
Date: 2000-06-02 14:55:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ron Chmara wrote:
> On an extremely fast system, with Fsync off, this should take less than
> 30 seconds. On slower systems, or with fsync on, your performance will
> degrade greatly. I've seen 468 machines running at 2 inserts a second...

One thing I've noticed with loading lots of data using INSERTs is
that if you wrap the whole thing in a transaction, it goes heaps
faster (presumably because it only does one fsync, when the
transaction is complete).
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)cupid(dot)suninternet(dot)com>
http://cupid.suninternet.com/~kleptog/