Re: table size limit under Linux

From: Chris Albertson <calbertson(at)logicon(dot)com>
To: norbert(dot)meissner(at)str(dot)daimler-benz(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, HENAFF Mari-mai FTRD/DMI/LAN <marimai(dot)henaff(at)rd(dot)francetelecom(dot)fr>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table size limit under Linux
Date: 2000-05-31 17:57:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Norbert Meissner wrote:

> > > How do you go beyond 2gigs on a single file on ext2fs (like
> > > the major linux distributions delivering) ? magic?
> >
> > Split the files into 1 gig segments.
> >

> Excuse my dumb questions, but is this a capability of linux or postgresql ?
> Can you point me to a location where i can read more ?

In Postgresql this is done inside the storage manager. The code is
acrually quite simple amd not hard to read.

The limit now is the OID. This is a 32-bit integer and OIDs are
unique within a database not just a table. (Someone please correct me
if I am wrong) So you can have only 4 giga-rows in a database. Our
project may bump into this limit in a few years but by then maybe
Postgresql will allow 64 bit OIDs

--
Chris Albertson

calbertson(at)logicon(dot)com Voice: 626-351-0089 x17
Logicon, Pasadena California Fax: 626-351-0699