Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: Ron Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>, Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>, Erich <hh(at)cyberpass(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-30 03:30:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:
> > Well, you have binaries for NT, but what about home users/developers on 95?
> 98? > mySQL even does OS/2. Really.
> For home use/development, run either Linux or FreeBSD in another partition on
> your Win9x machine. Or, even use one of the 'WinLinux' style distributions
> that cooexist with Windows very well. You'll (and PostgreSQL will) be much
> happier with a unix-like environment (which Cygwin duplicates anyway for the
> Win32 PostgreSQL server) for running the PostgreSQL server. Get VMWare and run
> Win9x in a window on your Linux partition to test Win9x apps if you must run
> Win9x.

Hm. See my .sig (missing from prior posts).... yes, it's nice that a hardware
platform can be bent to work with certain applications. I do lots of bending.
However, most users prefer to get applications for their platform, not the
other way round. Not all of us are platform agnostic. ;-)

> However, the point is taken -- MySQL does Win9x. We don't.

Yet?

-Ronabop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in LinuxPPC land. Your bopping may vary.