Re: Berkeley DB...

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Berkeley DB...
Date: 2000-05-26 06:12:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Mikheev, Vadim:
> > Also, does MySQL read table itself if it can get all required
> > columns from index?! I mean - did your query really read *both*
> > index and *table*?
>
> Yes, and yes.
>
> Note that this "benchmark" was much too quick-and-dirty and didn't
> really say anything conclusive... we'll have to wait a bit for that.
>
> --
> Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf(at)noris(dot)de | ICQ: 20193661
> The quote was selected randomly. Really. | http://smurf.noris.de/
> --

Although I am a PostgreSQL zealot, I have to admit that many
PostgreSQL users have hidden behind the use of transactions in
justifying the sometimes 2 - 3 times slower execution speeds in
DML statements vs. MySQL. As Vadim points out in his comparison
of COPY vs. INSERT, something is *wrong* with the time it takes
for PostgreSQL to parse, plan, rewrite, and optimize. Now that
MySQL has transactions through Berkley DB, I think its going to
be harder to justify the pre-executor execution times.

Just my two cents,

Mike Mascari