Problem getting 7.0 up and running

From: Keith Chayer <kchayer(at)bbcnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem getting 7.0 up and running
Date: 2000-05-23 21:30:24
Lists: pgsql-ports

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Keith Chayer
Your email address : kchayer(at)bbcnet(dot)edu

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : Intel 486 DX2-80, AMD
K6/2-300, 64 megs RAM on each(forgive me, the AMD was all we had)

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Linux 2.2.14 and
2.2.15 (ELF of course), glibc 2.1.2

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.1): PostgreSQL-7.0

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : gcc 2.95.2

I listed two machines above--I have this problem on both of them.
I configured Postgresql with a bare configure command (no added
switches). It configured, compiled, and installed just fine. However,
upon running 'initdb', I get the following results:

**********************
postgres(at)bohr$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server
process.

Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data
Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
Creating global relations in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
Adding template1 database to pg_database
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: line 481: 4643 Segmentation fault
"$PGPATH"/p
ostgres $BACKENDARGS template1 <"$TEMPFILE"

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/local/pgsql/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.4613.

This happens every time I run initdb. I have not been able to
successfully build postgres and get it running on either of these
systems. The systems used to be RedHat 5.1, but I've downloaded and
compiled about everything imaginable from source so there's little trace
of that left. They are both very similar in configuration--one used to
be the other one until I got a second machine and copied the 486 to the
AMD. I try to keep everything upgraded on them together, with only
system-specific differences on each.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a