Re: Can functions return NULL value?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrea Austa <aausta(at)athena(dot)polito(dot)it>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can functions return NULL value?
Date: 2000-05-09 11:54:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:

> Andrea Austa <aausta(at)athena(dot)polito(dot)it> writes:
> > Can a function, written in C, return a NULL value?
> > I would like write code like this:
>
> > text * getnull (text * t)
> > {
> > return NULL;
> > }
>
> > but it doesn't work, the backend terminates abnormally.
>
> This will be possible in 7.1 with the new function manager interface.
> Right now, it's not possible.

Who is doing the new function manager interface.

Is there a preliminary description somewhere ?

What is the planned timetable?

I ask because friend of mine is working on plpython (and has the
basics working) on current code but he is quite turned off by the
ugliness of current function manager (and SPI interface).

Hannu