Re: 8.1 and syntax checking at create time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1 and syntax checking at create time
Date: 2005-08-31 19:17:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> Are you using a database that was restored from an earlier version
> of PostgreSQL?  I wonder if you're not getting the lanvalidator
> function.

Ah-hah, that sounds like a good theory.  He'd have had to have carried
the DB forward from 7.4 or before, though, since plpgsql had a validator
in 8.0.

We've had repeated problems with PL languages stemming from the fact
that pg_dump dumps them at a pretty low semantic level.  Aside from this
problem with adding a validator, we used to have issues with hardwired
paths to the shared libraries in the CREATE FUNCTION commands.  And in
8.1, whether the functions are in "public" or "pg_catalog" is going to
vary across installations depending on whether the language was restored
from a dump or not.

I wonder if we could change the dump representation to abstract out the
knowledge encapsulated in "createlang".  I don't suppose this would
work:

	\! createlang plpgsql <dbname>

but it'd be nice if the dump didn't know any more about the language
than its name, and didn't mention the implementation functions at all.