RE: Connection.setCatalog()

From: jason(at)netspade(dot)com
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Connection.setCatalog()
Date: 2001-07-13 15:11:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Dave,

"catalogs" are the same as "databases" I think. Basically, typing \l at the psql prompt will list them. The MySQL driver lists all the databases when getCatalogs() is called (by the way, Peter E has implemented it in DatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs() when I requested it - see CVS). I think maybe the name is just confusing?

Methods like Connection.getCatalog() should return the database which the driver is currently connected to. Connection.setCatalog(String database) should connect to the specified database. The DatabaseMetaData.supportsCatalogsInXXX() may need to be modified. I'm not sure about the stuff in DatabaseMetaData.getTables() for example - at the moment specifying null gets all the tables in the database which the driver is currently connected to. I think this is fine - but different database name patterns might be specified and they may have to be implemented?

The MySQL driver implements get/setCatalog() as well as getCatalogs(). Supporting catalogs is necessary for my database tool to list the databases available etc.

Thanks,

Jason Davies
jason(at)netspade(dot)com

[[[ Original Message from Dave Cramer <dave(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> ]]]