Re: GTK or TCL/TK ... what do you prefer ? (beginner)

From: Jurgen Defurne <defurnj(at)glo(dot)be>
Subject: Re: GTK or TCL/TK ... what do you prefer ? (beginner)
Date: 2000-04-29 01:58:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Marcel Sierra wrote:

> Hello, Forum
>
> In my 1st message. I'm developping in MSVB 6.0 & Access.

Have you ever developed anything with VB and Access ? If your answer is yes,
then you have already a basic understanding. If your answer is no, you should

do that first.

Is it imperative that you use these programs ? Is it a project that should be
run
using these programs, e.g. because it needs to be on a network with Wintel
PC's ?

> I am beginner in Linux. I want to develop some easy program.

There is Linux, there is postgreSQL and there is a whole bunch of programs to
do development with. First, take some time with the documentation that comes
with every Linux distribution (in /usr/doc).

> I'd like to program with a dev.lang. to Linux and to know your opinions to
> interact with Posgres.

Do you want to write programs running on Linux, which can access postgreSQL,
or do you want to write programs using VB and Access, which can access
postgreSQL on a server ?

In the first case, you have several possibilities. You could be programming
in C or C++, but I do not recommend that. You could use an interpreted
language, like Perl, Tcl or Python. These
have all an interface with postgreSQL, and also the Tk toolkit, which makes
it possible to create graphical applications.

However, being busy like that means you are learning several things at once :

- Linux
- postgreSQL
- one of these interpreted languages
- Tk

If you must connect from VB/Access to postgreSQL, you should install the ODBC
interface.

> No programs made at the moment. Nothing.

Do you mean under Linux, or in general. In the latter case, I suggest that
you find a good book about programming.

> I'm studing intensively all the docs.
>
> Thanks in advance. I need a lot of Help.

Are you a student ? If so, I suggest that you look into the library of your
school after books on programming, and books about databases, and that you
start learning a classical programming
language, and not jump directly in an environment like the above.

> (...little bit affraid)
>
> Marcel Sierra i Alegret
> from Barcelona

Jurgen Defurne