Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce dependancies of postmaster (without --as-needed)
Date: 2005-11-29 06:16:53
Lists: pgsql-patches
> It bothers me that we don't even *know* the dependancies or even why
> they're there. Those autoconf lines have been there ever since autoconf
> use was started.

Not all of them.

I dug a bit in the cvs history, and found that -lresolv was added
quite late, apparently in response to this:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-02/msg00030.php

Now that we don't support Kerb4 anymore, maybe we don't need it...
but testing with Kerb5 would surely be prudent before deciding that.

-lnsl seems to have been there since the beginning.

-lPW was added "for SCO support" in 1997:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/Attic/configure.in.diff?r1=1.64;r2=1.65