Re: 'postmaster -B [nBuffers]'

From: Chris Albertson <chrisja(at)jps(dot)net>
To: Jack Zhu <jzhu(at)netcom-sys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'postmaster -B [nBuffers]'
Date: 2000-04-14 22:46:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jack Zhu wrote:

> The default for disk buffers number is 64. I think it's not big enough.
> If my box has 128 or 256 MB RAM, what's the percentage of RAM should be
> assigned to postmaster by using '-B' option? Any experience about the
> performence regarding to the change of buffer size?

Try this: Run the "top" display and watch the CPU utilization.
Add buffers and/or more physical RAM untill your Postgresql
server becomes CPU bound. You can tell if it is when the
utilization is close to 100%. If the CPU utilization is low
it means the CPU is waiting on the disk.

A direct answer is "B = a few thousand"

--Chris Albertson home: chrisja(at)jps(dot)net
Redondo Beach, California work: calbertson(at)logicon(dot)com