Advice about -B n_buffers option

From: Robert Williams <bob(at)bob(dot)usuhs(dot)mil>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Advice about -B n_buffers option
Date: 2000-04-06 15:56:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a postmaster process that is crashing periodically.
I haven't turned on debugging yet, but I suspect the
number of buffers may be low (its 64).
Does anyone have some general observations about
the importance of having more buffers?

-B n_buffers
n_buffers is the number of shared-memory buffers for
the postmaster to allocate and manage for the backend
server processes that it starts. This value defaults
to 64, and each buffer is 8k bytes.

as in "postmaster -D /usr/local/var/Postgresql -B 128"

--
Bob Williams, http://bob.usuhs.mil/
office: 301-295-3568