Re: --enable-locale doesn't work

From: werner <werner(at)gefi(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: --enable-locale doesn't work
Date: 2000-04-02 14:07:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I found a solution for the problem. But first I try to explain a little
bit better what the poblem was. When I
searched for a text that contained foreign characters (ä,ö,ü,etc.) the
query found no matching records.

for example:

create table mytesttable(myattribute text);

insert into mytesttable values('FRÜHLING');

select * from mytesttable where myattribute~*'frühling';

The query finds no matching records. But it works if the "special
characters" are the same case (i.e. "frühling",
"Frühling","FRüHLING",etc.)
(frühling is the german word for spring :-) btw)

In postgresql versions before 7.x the parameter --enable-locale was
necessary to search for these
characters. Now I found out that in 7.0 the parameter --enable-recode is
necessary. The manual says that
this parameter is for cyrillic recode support only. But the german
character set ISO-8859-1 (I use) is not
cyrillic. So I was a little confused. I'm not sure what the diffrence
between --enable-locale and
--enable-recode is. Anyway, it seems like --enable-recode is necessary to
make a search on attributes that use german character sets.

PS.: I'm afraid that if you don't have a german character set, you can't
really read this message, because the "special characters" are not
translated. The character "ü" should be shown as a small u with 2 points
above.