Re: isnull

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)p1(dot)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Julie Hunt <jhunt(at)chac(dot)qld(dot)edu(dot)au>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: isnull
Date: 2000-03-30 22:25:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

Julie Hunt wrote:

> Sorry, I haven't come across ifnull

Ah, I think the documentation that came with 6.5.3 was wrong, because
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/functions.htm#AEN2257 has the function
nullif where ifnull was in my documentation. I don't get errors now, but it
just doesn't seem to do it's job.

playpen=> insert into tablea values (100, null);
INSERT 23168 1
playpen=> select * from tablea;
indexa|data
------+----
1| 1
2| 2
3| 2
4| 4
7| 7
6| 8
5| 8
100|
(8 rows)

playpen=> select *, data from tablea;
indexa|data|data
------+----+----
1| 1| 1
2| 2| 2
3| 2| 2
4| 4| 4
7| 7| 7
6| 8| 8
5| 8| 8
100| |
(8 rows)

playpen=> select *, nullif(data, 9) from tablea;
indexa|data|case
1| 1| 1
2| 2| 2
3| 2| 2