Re: [HACKERS] 'now' in 7.0

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 'now' in 7.0
Date: 2000-02-28 15:26:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > ERROR: No such function 'datetime' with the specified attributes
> Apparently the datetime() function got renamed to timestamp() in the
> recent consolidation of date/time types. I'd actually recommend that
> you write CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, which is the SQL-approved notation...
> although here also I think now() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP would be safer
> coding.

Right. We stayed away from recommending anything to do with
"timestamp" in the past because it was such a brain-damaged
implementation.

Sorry for the porting effort; I could imagine someone working on a
"datetime compatibility package" which would define some of these
older functions. It would not need any compiled code, just a set of
CREATE FUNCTION definitions to hook up the new code with the old
names, something possible with Tom Lane's decoupling of entry points
from names...

If you are interested in doing this Oleg I'm sure we could slip it
into the beta tarball...

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California