CVSup Quick start.

From: Dave Del Signore <dave(at)narnia(dot)toledo(dot)oh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CVSup Quick start.
Date: 2000-02-22 03:02:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

\begin{disclaimer }
I'm extremely new with CVSup, but I believe that what I have said below is
correct. Please correct any mistakes I've made, suggest better ways of doing
things, or simply add to my comments to make our understanding of CVSup more
complete.
\end{disclaimer}

Download the CVSup package for your OS from postgresql.org. I'm using RedHat
Linux 6.1, so I downloaded the package: 'cvsup-15.5-1-libc5.i386.rpm' (I had
trouble with the newer 16.0 package.) In any event, install the package as per
the contained instructions. In addition to the package, you should download the
file 'README.cvsup'. This is the file containing a stock cvsup script for
PostgreSQL. You'll probably want to rename it to something more descriptive, and
edit it to customize your installation. Here's a listing of mine, followed by
commentary on what I changed and why. Note that lines beginning with the '#'
character are comments:

#file: pgsql.cvsup
# CVSup distribution file for the PostgreSQL ORDBMS project
# Modified by lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu 1997-08-28
# - Point to my local snapshot source tree
#
# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=postgresql.org
*default compress
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=.
#*default tag=REL6_5_3
#*default date=2000.02.20.00.00.00

# base directory points to where CVSup will store its 'bookmarks' file(s)
# will create subdirectory sup/
#*default base=/opt/postgres # /usr/local/pgsql
*default base=/usr/src/cvs

# prefix directory points to where CVSup will store the actual distribution(s)
#*default prefix=/opt/postgres/cvs # /usr/local/pgsql
*default prefix=/usr/src/cvs

# complete distribution, including all below
pgsql

# individual distributions vs 'the whole thing'
# pgsql-doc
# pgsql-perl5
# pgsql-src
# end file

Here are the lines I changed:

*default tag=.

This command synchronizes the local dist dir with the latest sources.

*default base=/usr/src/cvs

This command sets the directory where CVSup stores its bookmark files, which are
used in the synchronization process. For PostgreSQL, the directory structure
sup/pgsql will be created above to store these files.

*default prefix=/usr/src/cvs

This command sets the root directory where all sources are stored. For
PostgreSQL, the directory pgsql will be created above, with the source
distribution contained therein.

The above script file, or more properly 'distribution file,' will download and
synchronize the entire distribution. I don't know yet how to only grab the JDBC
sources, but I'm sure someone around here does. Assuming you've named the file
'pgsql.cvsup', issue the command:

cvsup pgsql.cvsup

and watch it do its magic.

Regards,