Re: [INTERFACES] A question on triggers

From: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
Cc: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] A question on triggers
Date: 2000-02-16 16:23:49
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Constantin Teodorescu wrote:

> I have two tables "inputs" and "outputs" and they hold items and
> quantities that are coming and going from a warehouse.
>
> I have defined also another table "stock" that will hold the inventory
> of that warehouse.
>
> I have defined triggers on INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE on "inputs" and
> "outputs" tables that update acordingly the "stock" table!
>
> What's my problem?
>
> Is there any chance to restrict the direct updates of any user to the
> "stock" table?
> So that the information in the "stock" table should be updated ONLY by
> those triggers?

Just for kicks, here's a hack. Add a column named 'passwd' to the
stock table (with a bogus default value), then create an UPDATE
trigger on stock requiring the UPDATE to include a valid 'passwd'
column value that's only known (hard-coded) to your 'inputs' and
'outputs' triggers. Would that work?

Cheers,
Ed Loehr