Re: [INTERFACES] Functions vs. Columns?????

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Functions vs. Columns?????
Date: 2000-02-16 06:04:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
> It seems that there should be some consistency here in the use of
> parenthesis.  I don't really know how these things are handled on the
> backend, but it seems that parenthesis are the more correct way, or at
> least both should be allowed.

The ones without parens are SQL-mandated "constants" which are
translated in the parser front end into function calls (usually with
some other name for historical reasons). Other function calls, like
now(), are really that: function calls.

> Any thoughts?

Uh, sure ;)

                     - Thomas

--
Thomas Lockhart				lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu
South Pasadena, California