PostgreSQL-6.5.3 on Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 now works...here's how

From: Gord Tomlin <gordt(at)actionsoftware(dot)com>
To: PGSQL Ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL-6.5.3 on Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 now works...here's how
Date: 2000-02-09 16:12:53
Lists: pgsql-ports

Like many other people, I was unable to install PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on
Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. Here are the things I had to do to make it work,
and some suggested changes for the documentation that might have helped
make the install easier.

1. Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 (or at least mine) does not have either yacc or
bison. This results in a terminating error in make. I fixed this by
downloading and installing bison 1.28 and doing
make clean
./configure <options>
make all

2. Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 does not ship crypt with glibc, due to
cryptography export restrictions which I believe are no longer in
effect. This is documented in their knowledge base at:
http://support.calderasystems.com/caldera?solution&11-990802-0003&130-933616982&14-0&2715-0&15-0&2716-0&57-search&58-&25-6&3-crypt

Without crypt installed on the system, make all fails with the following
error messages (snipped):
libpq/SUBSYS.o: In function `crypt_verify':
libpq/SUBSYS.o(.text+0x3a64): undefined reference to `crypt'
libpq/SUBSYS.o: In function `verify_password':
libpq/SUBSYS.o(.text+0x3ca7): undefined reference to `crypt'
make[1]: *** [postgres] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src/backend'
make: *** [all] Error 2

crypt and crypt-static can be downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.linuxland.de/pub/OpenLinux/crypto/2.2/RPMS/

The files are:
glibc-crypt-2.1-3i.i386.rpm and
glibc-crypt-static-2.1-3i.i386.rpm

After these packages are installed, running make clean, ./configure, and
make all does *NOT* result in success. The same error messages result.
It is necessary to wipe out the PostgreSQL directory structure and start
again from gunzip. I assume (without researching to prove it) that
configure saves the results of checking the presence/absence/location of
crypt, and only rechecks this if it does not find the result of a prior
check.

3. All the regression tests worked except float8, geometry, and abstime.
All of the errors in these three tests appeared to be trivial.

Suggestions:

1. The "Requirements to run Postgres" section should be updated to list
ALL prerequisites for PostgreSQL. In addition to GNU make, I have had
the good fortune to discover that crypt and either yacc or bison are
required. I don't know what other packages were prerequisites that just
happened to already be on my system.

2. configure should be updated to perform the check for crypt every time
it is run. From what I have seen on the mailing lists, many people have
wasted a lot of time trying to fix the problem by editing makefiles,
etc.

3. The installation instructions should refer to the actual file
locations that result when the instructions are followed. Once the
distribution is unzipped, most of the work is done in
/usr/src/pgsql/postgresql-6.5.3/src, not in /usr/src/pgsql/src.

If anyone needs any more information, please let me know.

Gord Tomlin