Unable to complete successful PostgreSQL installation

From: Bob Balfour <bob(at)BAL4(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Unable to complete successful PostgreSQL installation
Date: 2000-02-03 03:29:16
Lists: pgsql-ports

Help!

I have been following the postgres installation procedure from the Admin
guide - ch. 5.

I am installing postgres 6.5.3 on an SGI Onyx2 InfiniteReality2 platform
running Irix 6.4, using the MipsPro 7.2 C compiler.

To get a successful 'gmake all' I only had to manually edit a few config
items:

- in generated config.h had to manually edit to include:
#define HAVE_STRINGIZE 1
and #define STDC_HEADERS 1
- in Makefile.global :
- commented out #HAVE_Cplusplus=true
- changed LEX=lex to LEX=/usr/bin/flex

These few config mods eliminated a number of compile errors and
successfully executed gmake all and gmake install

[My make.log file is attached below - contains alot of compile and link
warnings - but no errors.]

BUT, in step 18, when running initdb, executing postgres generates a Bus
Error (core dump).

I am stuck at this point with no idea what to do next. I need an
RDBMS. If I can't get PostgreSQL to work quickly, I'll have to switch
to something else. Can anyone help ??? Are there binaries available for
SGI Irix 6.4 that I might use until I can get a good source
installation? What are my options. Any help ASAP would be greatly
appreciated.

Robert Balfour, Ph.D.
Exec. V.P. & CTO
Balfour Technologies LLC