Re: backend crash with FATAL: BeginInternalSubTransaction: unexpected state END

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backend crash with FATAL: BeginInternalSubTransaction: unexpected state END
Date: 2007-05-30 15:04:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Frank van Vugt <ftm(dot)van(dot)vugt(at)foxi(dot)nl> writes:
> FATAL:  BeginInternalSubTransaction: unexpected state END

Hmm, do you get the impression that user-written constraint triggers
aren't very well tested ;-) ?

It looks to me like BeginInternalSubTransaction simply needs to allow
TBLOCK_END (and TBLOCK_PREPARE too) as acceptable initial states,
because these could be seen by a function executed during COMMIT or
PREPARE TRANSACTION-time processing of deferred triggers.  I think that
the other states it rejects are OK, because we don't try to execute any
user-written code while transiting through those TBLOCK states.