Query with ISO caracters: wrong order?

From: Web Manager <web(at)inter-resa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Query with ISO caracters: wrong order?
Date: 2000-01-27 21:09:51
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello,

Our company is french based so we use ISO characters (accents) in our
data. It looks like all queries made on those characters don't sort out
OK... Especially if the first character is not standard english. The
word is put at the end, after "z" !!!

So, United States in french is "États-Unis" (hope you can see the first
letter ok!)
and it should be next to a country like "Equator" but it's not. THis is
a real problem since people using the database through PHP think it is
not there and try to add a new country! (or something).

Is there a workaround? Any suggestions?
Postgres 6.4.2
--
Marc Andre Paquin