Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...

From: Sevo Stille <sevo(at)ip23(dot)net>
To: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)HUB(dot)ORG
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pgsql over ISDN lines ...
Date: 2000-01-25 23:57:16
Lists: pgsql-general
Marten Feldtmann wrote:

> I've tried to use PostgreSQL over ISDN lines with about a timeout
> of ~60 seconds - when no traffic is done, the line is dropped.
> PostgreSQL seems to have *many* problems with it:
>
> 1) The system can not connect to the database, because of the time
>    the isdn line needs to build up the connection.

Unlikely. I've been using remote postgres databases over ISDN for years
- often with ssh port forwarding, to make matters worse, at least in
terms of reconnect times.

> 2) After the line was dropped, the application was not able to
>    use the connection to the database for further work.

Looks like some dialer or ppp problem to me. To be able to use
persistent connections across a ppp line, it has to maintain state even
if the modem or ISDN line drops - which usually means using static
addresses and may require bidirectional dialing.

> What could be done against such behaviour ?

It depends. If you can, fix your dialer. Otherwise, you may have to
change your application so that it does not maintain a persistent
connection to the database. Or, as a quick, but possibly expensive fix,
use something like ping -i 30 to the server to keep the connection up.

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille
sevo(at)ip23(dot)net