Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ODBC drive strange behavior

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>
To: Jose Soares <jose(at)sferacarta(dot)com>
Cc: interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ODBC drive strange behavior
Date: 2000-01-22 16:40:46
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-interfaces

Jose Soares wrote:

> Sorry I forgot to send the attachement  :)
>
> Jose Soares wrote:
>
> > Please help!
> >
> > The PSQLODBC aborts a transaction with a strange error while execute a
> > legal query.
> > The message is:
> >
> > "Could not begin a transaction; unexpected protocol character from
> > backend (sen_query) (#1)"
> >
> > I tried the same query with psql client and it works with no problems.
> >
> > Does anyone know what this message means ?
> >
> > My configuration:
> >
> > Data base server: PostgreSQL v6.5.2
> > OS server: Linux 2.0.37 (Debian)
> > Win Client: M$_Access95
> > PsqlODBC v6.40.0006
> > log file attached.
> >
> > Any help would be very apreciated.
> >
> > José

>                     Name: LOG_ERROR.log
>    LOG_ERROR.log    Type: Text Document (application/x-unknown-content-type-txtfile)
>                 Encoding: base64

The error means the driver didn't receive the expected response
character from the backend.  For queries, the expected response would be
something like:

'T': results are coming (this one is the most likely expected)
'C': no tuples produced
'Z': ready for new query (in >= postgres 6.4 only).
'I': empty query produces this response
'N': notice
'E': error

In your case, the query begins:  (SELECT "figure"."azienda"

It might be the extra parenthesis around the query ?  Try removing
them.  If that's not it, try making the query really short, just as an
experiment.  Also, using the wrong protocol with the backend can make
this happen.

Byron