Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC oin Windows

From: "Sergio A(dot) Kessler" <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: Didier Gasser-Morlay <didierg(at)visualgroup(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC oin Windows
Date: 2000-01-07 03:20:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Ken J. Wright" wrote:

> >1. Money type is seen has a float. Delphi complains when trying to post
>
> Use the decimal type from 6.5.x
>
> >2. Int8 is seen as a 17 byte string
> >3. float4 is seens as using 8 bytes (as float8)
>
> How are you viewing this data? Delphi provides casting methods
> (AsString,AsFloat,etc) to convert  a fields raw data to an appropriate data
> type for your app.
>
> f := Dataset.FieldByName('SomeField').AsFloat;

if you are using Delphi, maybe you want to check the Export
utility in http://sak.org.ar, it takes any database supported
by the BDE and translate it to sql scripts (I've used it many
times to convert db's to Postgres)

and while we are on the subject, you may want to check mOdbc
http://perio.unlp.edu.ar/modbc (native odbc components for
Delphi and BCBuilder, no mo BDE)
I'm using it with Postgres for years now.

all of this is free software, of course ...

(beware, the connection is f* slow, as a adsl modem stopped
to work the past weekend, Y2K bug ?)

--
-=  Sergio A. Kessler     ==    http://sak.org.ar  =-
You can have it soon, cheap and working; choose *two*.