IRIX OID problems after compile...

From: Ian Abbott <iana(at)cinesite(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: IRIX OID problems after compile...
Date: 2000-01-06 17:22:25
Lists: pgsql-ports

If PostgreSQL failed to compile on your computer or you found a bug that
is likely to be specific to one platform then please fill out this form
and e-mail it to pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

To report any other bug, fill out the form below and e-mail it to
pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

If you not only found the problem but solved it and generated a patch
then e-mail it to pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org instead. Please use the
command "diff -c" to generate the patch.

You may also enter a bug report at http://www.postgresql.org/ instead of
e-mail-ing this form.

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name: Ian Abbott
Your email address: iana(at)cinesite(dot)co(dot)uk

System Configuration
=====================

Architecture: SGI MIPS R4400
Operating System: IRIX 6.2 IP22
PostgreSQL version: PostgreSQL-6.5.3
Compiler used: MIPSpro cc Version 7.2.1

PostgreSQL cannot 'destroydb' from script or monitor. Error given:

template1=> drop database firstdb;
ERROR: typeidTypeRelid: Invalid type - oid = 0

Can be considered a MAJOR problem. Database unusable without ability
to remove data... :)

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

PostgreSQL is notoriously difficult on IRIX machines, particularly
the 'n32' ABI that we require for compatibility with other libraries.

Compilation flags were as follows for 6.5.3
(in order to achieve any compile at all), using recommendations for
compilation from pgsql-ports and the SGI freeware site
(freeware.sgi.com):

/etc/compiler.defaults (ensures we make n32)

-DEFAULT:abi=n32:isa=mips3

config.status
-------------
configure --prefix=/usr/freeware/pgsql --with-perl --with-pgport=5432 \
--enable-hba --with-CC=/usr/bin/cc --without-CXX \
--with-includes=/usr/freeware/include \
--with-libraries=/usr/freeware/lib32

Makefile.custom
---------------

PERL = /usr/freeware/bin/perl5.00502-n32
CUSTOM_COPT = -O2 \
-woff 1009,1014,1048,1110,1116,1185,1188,1204,1230,1233 \
-Wl,-woff,85,-woff,84

config.cache amendments
-----------------------

# libgen, libnsl and libsocket disabled as recommended on SGI
# freeware site (then executed config.status --recheck)

ac_cv_lib_gen_main=${ac_cv_lib_gen_main='no'}
ac_cv_lib_nsl_main=${ac_cv_lib_nsl_main='no'}
ac_cv_lib_socket_main=${ac_cv_lib_socket_main='no'}

Makefile.shlib
--------------

# rpath added to find libraries as recommended on pgsql-ports

ifeq ($(PORTNAME), irix5)
install-shlib-dep := install-shlib
shlib := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX).$(SO_MAJOR_VERSION).$(SO_MINOR_VERSION)
LDFLAGS_SL := -shared -rpath $(LIBDIR)
CFLAGS += $(CFLAGS_SL)
endif

build
-----

executed using GNU Make version 3.76.1 from SGI Freeware

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

If somebody could successfully compile PostgreSQL for the IRIX 6.2+ n32
ABI, inst-package it and get it over to SGI for testing (installing in
/usr/freeware/pgsql to maintain their structures) it would be fantastic.

Apart from that, how about offering an IRIX binary on the PostgreSQL
website. I've been trying to compile the software for going on 3 months
now (in different permutations of o32/n32/cc/gcc/g++/ecgs...) and I'm
starting to lose my mind.

PostgreSQL has so many good features (triggers, rules, refint) that the
other systems like MySQL don't support and I really would like to move
over from our miraculously once-only compile of the o32 ABI version
(we can't even get that to recompile again) as everything else is n32
now.

Please help...

Ian A