Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Is it possible to run multiple postmasters?h
Date: 2000-01-03 20:58:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> > Yes you can. Use a postmaster parameter to specify a different port
> > number, and use that port number in your connections.
>
> What I was missing was that:
>
> rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* > /dev/null
>
> must be removed from thr redhat init script in order for the sockcts
> to work correctly. The 6.5.1/6.5.3 workarond now seems viable.

As a note, the RedHat init scripts shipped with the RPM's are not
intended for 'special' applications such as this one -- however, I am
working on a more generalized setup in the RPM's where multiple
postmasters, etc, could be started.

That rm -f is for cleanup purposes -- assuming a single postmaster, it
works correctly. For multiple postmasters, it would need to be changed
(assuming PGPORT= postmaster listen port):
rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.$(PGPORT) > /dev/null

This way, the init script allows a postmaster to startup even if the
restart is due to a system crash that would leave the .s.PGSQL.* files
laying around.

I'm assuming that you have all the paths set correctly for each copy of
the postmaster, so that the 6.5.1 postmaster isn't trying to start a
6.5.3 backend, right?

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio