Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?

From: Mike Beller <beller(at)tradeworx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org, aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?
Date: 1999-12-30 14:48:23
Lists: pgsql-general
I'd like to add one item to Mike Mascari's  excellent and
helpful list:

Watch out for queries involving many result rows which include
functions or even aggregates in the select list:

--select f(x) into resulttable from bighugetable;

The way that postgres allocates/frees memory results in
potentially very large memory use by such queries.  (Per-
row memory is not freed until the statement completes.)
My reading of the todo list is that this is a known bug
(or feature!).

BTW: Does anyone know if there are plans to fix this one soon?

Mike Beller

Barnes wrote:

> It would be helpful to me to hear about successful and stable
> implementations as well.  If some of you who are using PostgreSQL
> successfully could comment on your experiences, I think it would shed some
> worthwhile light on it's capabilities.  I'm considering using it for a
> mission critical project, and I would like to know what I am getting into.
> Thank you.
>
> David Barnes

We've used it successfully in a production environment (24 x
7) for over a year now. Simply reading the mailing list will
greatly improve your chances of success. The problems with
PostgreSQL can be avoided if you know, in advance, what to

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: RobertDate: 1999-12-30 14:51:06