Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL

From: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-25 23:17:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My big question is, what new challenges will we face as we become more
> popular?

The 3 greatest technical/engineering challenges: 1) system reliability
& recoverability, 2) system reliability & recoverability, and 3) system reliability
and recoverability. The masses won't stay long if the system won't stay up, isn't
easy to diagnose by non-experts, or cannot be easily restored from backups without
significant data losses. New functionality is great, but a system that won't stay
up consistently is approaching worthlessness for mission-critical 24x7
applications. And if the masses leave because of system reliability problems, you
can be very, very certain about what they will tell their friends and coworkers.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr