Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: fshim(at)cawthra(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] Onto a Caldera 2.2 distro
Date: 1999-12-14 15:31:19
Lists: pgsql-ports

Francis K Shim wrote:
> I managed to get the RPM package of postgresql for RedHat installed onto
> Caldera's 2.2 distro. I had to do a few guessing to resolve some *real*
> dependency problems by downloading other RPMs for missing programs and
> libraries, but there were several depencies that were *misleading*. For
> example, I had the library "libc.so.6", but kpackage/rpm reported it as
> missing. What I ended up doing is just ignoring the depencies that were
> *false*. My guess is that RPMs are looking in the RPM database for specific
> RPM groups for where the packages or files are reported as being installed;
> hence, an RPM destined for a Redhat distro may have a different
> database groupings compared to groupings for a Caldera distro.

Well, actually it's a little more complicated than that. The book
'Maximum RPM' goes into detail about how dependencies are calculated,
getting down in great detail. You didn't say whether you got the RedHat
5.2 or RedHat 6.1 version of the RPM's. You'd need to determine which
glibc 2.x Caldera 2.2 uses -- IIRC, it's glibc 2.0. The kernel version
is not as important as the glibc version, as the RPMs built against
glibc 2.1 are almost guaranteed to not work right on a glibc 2.0 system.

IIRC, Caldera 2.2 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.0. RH 5.2 is kernel 2.0, glibc
2.0, and RH 6.1 is kernel 2.2, glibc 2.1.

> I did, however, had to install "chkconfig" since my Caldera distribution did
> not have it and the libraries libtermcap and libcrypt.

Hmmmm... Caldera doesn't ship libtermcap and libcrypt? Where did you
get the missing libs -- RedHat RPMs, or Caldera RPMs? And, yes,
chkconfig is a handy little RedHat-only program (actually was written by
the RedHat guys!) that is used to add the initscript to the appropriate
(for RedHat) rcX.d.

> Now things mostly work except I am running into a problem with libcrypt calling
> a routine that is in another shared library that does exist...

The 'false' dependencies you mentioned above just bit.

> I am thinking that I should probably installed the source version, but I am not
> sure how many hassles that will be.

If you have a complete C and C++ development system, with perl, tcl/tk,
X11, and the python development libraries installed (the dev libs for
ALL of those packages, not just those packages), then you should be able
to 'rpm --rebuild postgresql-version.src.rpm' -- there probably will be
issues that will arise (which I will attempt to help you with).

Once the build is successful, look under /usr/src for a packages, or RPM
directory. Under that directory, you should see the dirs SPECS, BUILD,
RPMS, SRPMS, and SOURCES. Under RPMS, you will find architecture dirs
(such as i386, alpha, i686....). Under one of those dirs will be the
built binary RPMS.

The src.rpm has been successfully rebuilt under SuSE 6.2, so it
shouldn't be too much of a stretch to build it under Caldera.

Let me know what else you find, as I don't have access to a Caldera box.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio