'z' bug

From: Cordelia Methfessel <cordelia(dot)methfessel(at)arcormail(dot)de>
To: bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: 'z' bug
Date: 1999-12-13 19:00:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name : Cordelia Methfessel
Your email address : cordelia(dot)methfessel(at)arcormail(dot)de

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : AMD K6-III

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : SuSE Linux 6.2

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.4.2) : PostgreSQL-6.4.2

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : precompiled

I am working on the creation of a CD database which contains a table
interpret. I made the following queries:

disky=> select * from interpret where lower(name) like 'the whatkee%';
intid|name|schreibw
-----+----+--------
(0 rows)

disky=> select * from interpret where lower(name) like 'the whatkeez%';
intid|name |schreibw
-----+--------------------------------------------------+--------
49|The Whatkeez | 0
(1 row)

disky=> select * from interpret where lower(name) like 'the whatke%';
intid|name |schreibw
-----+--------------------------------------------------+--------
49|The Whatkeez | 0
(1
row)

The table was not changed between the queries.

The result seems to depend upon whether or not the next letter of "name"
is a 'z'. I had the same effect with 'Gazze, Max'.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a
I hope I gave one!

With best regards,

Cordelia Methfessel

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below: