ESQL/C Docs: Request for code

From: Martin Jackson <mhjacks(at)nwa(dot)quik(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ESQL/C Docs: Request for code
Date: 1999-12-11 20:25:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hello all,

I am looking for examples of working ECPG code.  Partly I would like to
see for myself how it works, but I would also be willing to write some
documentation on it, which I would be willing to submit to the CVS tree.

I do not understand, for example, how to handle cursors in ECPG because
I have not found any examples of doing so in the documentation I have.
Others have probably had the same problem.

I am familiar with the Informix ESQL/C implementation, if that matters.

Would anyone be willing to email me some working code, along with the
appropriate table definitions?  It need not be too elaborate, but I
would like to know the following\ things:

1)  How do you set up a fetch operation?  Is there a nicer way to do it
in EC without a cursor?  That is,

	DECLARE foo CURSOR FOR
		SELECT * FROM bar
		WHERE baz = :bazval

	{time passes}

	FETCH foo INTO :bletch, :foo2;

2)  Can you PREPARE (i.e. cache) statements for later execution?
	EXEC SQL DELETE FROM foo
		WHERE baz = ?

3)  Does Postgres directly support placeholders (?)?  I've used them in
DBI, but I don't know whether that's some hack by the Postgres driver
author or if it's an actual Postgres feature?

4)  What kind of scope do declared cursors have?

5) (META-QUESTION):  Is ECPG suitable for a large system, i.e. an
accounting system for a small business?

--
Martin Jackson: mhjacks(at)nwa(dot)quik(dot)com

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Horst KlemannDate: 1999-12-11 20:44:32
Previous:From: Differentiated Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.Date: 1999-12-11 07:03:31
Subject: Spin lock error