VBA and ODBC (was Re: [INTERFACES] RE: pgsql-interfaces-digest V1 #562)

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>
To: Brian Haney <brian(at)cybernaut(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: VBA and ODBC (was Re: [INTERFACES] RE: pgsql-interfaces-digest V1 #562)
Date: 1999-11-30 04:23:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Brian Haney wrote:

> I'm a newbie to PostgreSQL ODBC applications, so please forgive me if the is
> a FAQ.
>
> I'm writing a VBA/Excel app (new to that, too) and am having great success
> with retrieving data from PostgreSQL, but the recordsets (using DAO) are
> flagged as not Updatable.  I have made sure the the ODBC driver read-only
> flag is set to off/false/zero, but no luck.  I'm sure it's just my
> ignorance, but where else should I look for the cause of getting
> non-updatable recordsets?
>
> --Brian Haney

Do you have the right kind of recordset?  The only updateable recordset
I think is a dynaset.  For the odbc driver to be able to use it, you
probably have to use the cursor library, since the driver does not deal
with keysets internally.  So there should be a setting in VBA somewhere
to tell it use the cursor library.

You should have the "Use Declare/Fetch" flag disabled.

You probably need to have the "recognize unique indexes" set to enabled,
and of course you need a physical unique index on the table in question.

Byron